On day one of his administration, President Joe Biden is unveiling vital executive actions on immigration! He will also help champion the U.S. Citizenship Act of 2021 which, if passed, would create a pathway to citizenship for over 11 million undocumented people in the country.
Over the last four years, immigrant, Black and brown communities suffered immensely at the hands of the Trump administration’s cruel and inhumane policies. Members of our community were detained, deported, separated from their families, and denied relief to survive a pandemic. Today, we look forward to turning the page on one of our darkest chapters in history.
The executive actions to be signed by President Biden are crucial to undo the harm imposed on our communities and to set in motion the long work needed to build a just and humane immigration system.
Amongst today’s executive orders to be signed are:
- Revoking the Trump administration’s plan to exclude immigrants from the census count;
- Keeping the DACA program alive;
- Repealing the Muslim Ban, that impacted immigrants from predominantly Muslim and African countries;
- Stopping the construction of the wall;
- Repealing one of Trump’s extreme immigration enforcement orders; and
- Extending Deferred Enforced Departure (DED) for Liberians who have been in the United States for many years.
We welcome President Biden’s leadership to bring forward an immigration legislative proposal that creates a pathway to citizenship for over 11 million undocumented people in the country, renews hope for millions of families across the country, and marks a new beginning in our broader fight for liberation for our communities.
Our communities remain committed to organizing to ensure that the Biden administration continues to take bold legislative and executive actions to deliver relief and justice to all our people.
¡Sí se puede!