Driver’s Licenses For All Are Here!
After a fight of almost 20 years our community won a great victory – people in the state of New York will be eligible to apply for a driver’s license, regardless of immigration status. Last year, Green Light NY, went into effect on Monday, December 16, 2019.
The New York State Department of Motor Vehicles (DMV) has updated their website to provide information, including the list of acceptable documents. Check it out!
Licencias de conducir para todos están aquí! Todas las personas en el estado de Nueva York son elegibles para solicitar una licencia de conducir, independientemente de su estado migratorio. Haz clic para más información en Español.
Download our one-pager for more information and share it with your neighbors:
What documents do I need to apply?
Applicants must establish their identity using a point system. You need 6 points total. You also need at least one document in three categories:
Category A: Social security information. For undocumented applicants, this can be:
- Affidavit you have never had a social security number.
Category B: Proof of date of birth. For undocumented applicants, you have at least one of the following [Note: For people with immigration status, Category B has other options including an unexpired US passport or a residency card (green card) that is unexpired or expired within the last 2 years]:
- An unexpired passport from your country of citizenship;
- An unexpired consular identification (matricula, cedula, DUI, etc.);
- An unexpired driver’s license from your country of citizenship (or, if it’s expired, it must be expired for less than two years);
- An original birth certificate;
- A work authorization that is unexpired or expired within the last 2 years.
Category C: New York residency. There are many options for this, including:
- A mail sent to you in the last year.
- A credit card statement.
- A computer-printed pay stub.
- A lease.
For a full list of documents accepted by the DMV, please visit their website here.
Please note that the DMV is currently providing services by appointment. Check out the DMV website here how to schedule one.