Housing & Environment
UPDATE ON HOUSING MORATORIUMS AS OF MAY 5, 2021
The New York State legislature voted to extend the moratorium on evictions this week. It will now be law. No eviction can take place until August 31st.
Please remember to speak with an attorney about any specific questions about your case!
COVID-19 EMERGENCY RENTAL ASSISTANCE PROGRAM (CERAP)
What is CERAP?
The COVID-19 Emergency Rental Assistance Program allows tenants to apply for assistance to cover up to 12 months of rent arrears and/or utility assistance, starting March 13, 2020. Assistance will not have to be paid back by the tenant and will not be considered income for qualifying for public assistance or public benefits. In some cases, tenants may qualify for future rent as well.
Who is eligible?
– Tenants whose primary residence is in New York State;
– Household is at or below 80% Area Median Income (AMI);
– Household is at risk of homelessness or housing instability; AND
– At least one household member qualifies for unemployment or experienced a reduction in household income, incurred significant costs, OR experienced other financial hardship due to the pandemic.
– IMMIGRATION STATUS IS NOT A FACTOR